I am a Yangon-based British editor who is looking fora few local writers to help write English language stories on Myanmarfor a lifestyle and news digital publication.
The website will have a range of content, from long features to short news stories. Readers will mostly be locals, foreigners living in Myanmar, repats (Myanmar who have lived abroad and returned), and tourists.
I want to publish original, topical and unreported stories. And don’t be afraid to inject some of your personality into these stories!
The writers will pitch their own ideas and stories as well as take assignments from me.
We are open to all ideas: anything news worthy of course, or anything unusual or quirky. Articles will be roughly 300 words.
Here’s a list of things that we’d like to cover. Please let me know if you’ve any ideas on what you’d like to write about e.g.‘Designer making handbags from recycled material’ or ‘Yangon’s Sikh community’.
First we can do one article, and if all goes well then we can continue that.
- All news (anything topical / current affairs)
- Interviews with interesting people
- Things to do in and outside Yangon
- Fashion and design
- Art and design stories (an interview with a Myanmar painter / new gallery exhibition etc…)
- Health and fitness trends
- History and heritage (e.g. historical places like the Secretariat or interesting stories from Burmese history)
- Secret (and delicious)street food spots. E.g. ‘The best mohinga in Yangon’
- Restaurant reviews
- Nightlife: what’s new and interesting in Yangon’s nightlife scene?
- Travel stories and guides e.g. ‘Guide to Kengtung’